Dealing with Objections – How to Be More Confident and Accomplish More When Facing Obstacles
Whether in business, or in life, objections can sting.
There is a tendency to misconstrue an objection as something personal, when often it is not. Objections are par for the course when we are presenting an idea to a potential client, customer, or even our kids (think about the last time you introduced a new food).
Of course, it’s hard to be more confident when we feel like we get objections over and over again. Yet, where amateurs tend to give up, professionals look for creative and innovative ways to navigate the objection and proceed to the desired outcome.
People tend to shy away from objections instead of embracing them.
The challenge is the Internet empowers buyers to get more informed. Consequently, conscious consumers should be asking questions and they do! Time for you to step up, be more confident, and be ready to answer them!
In business, handling objections – which are really questions in disguise – comes with the job.
Ultimately the more you put yourself out there, the more you learn how to be more confident in handling objections. Do it over and over. You’ll get better and it will become easier.
I have been teaching sales for over two decades and could write a book of scripts using NLP (neuro linguistic programing) techniques in order to assist people with elevating their confidence and communication, becoming much more effective. Perhaps that will eventually come.
However, to help you bring your ‘A’ game faster now, here are 7 scripts you can start using today. These scripts will help you be more confident and torch objections so you can reach more people with your product or service.
1. Either you can keep on going the way you are going and stay stuck, overwhelmed, and exhausted, or you can take action and be bold to change your future.
2. People like us are always on the go. We get more accomplished in an hour than most people do in a day. What if I can show you a way that we can do this utilizing time you are already committed to?
3. What questions can I get answered for you in order for you to make a decision to go ahead and get started (insert their goal).
4. What if this is exactly what you have been looking for and you don’t try it? What information do we need to provide in order for you to go ahead and make a change?
5. If not this then what is going to help you achieve your goals? I have been listening to you complain about (insert their stressors) for (insert the length of time). (Name) – listen, I love and care about you and it would break my heart to see you be in exactly the same place this time next year. Why don’t we go ahead and get you started so you can change the course of your future.
6. (Name) – how much money have you spent trying to (insert their goal)? What if I could show you a way where you could spend (insert daily amount) and achieve your goal of (re-state their goal) once and for all? How would that make you feel?
7. (Name) – I completely understand that cost is an issue however let me ask you this – who in your life is suffering because you aren’t (re-state their goal)? If you had to put a dollar value on how much their pain is costing them, what would it be?
Susan Sly is a best-selling author, keynote speaker, and entrepreneur. She is also a mother of five and resides in Scottsdale, Arizona.